NBSSI extends application period for gov’t stimulus package

by Business Zone

The National Board for Small Scale Industries (NBSSI), has announced a six-day extension of the deadline for accessing government’s stimulus package from June 20 to 26.

The decision, taken in consultation with the Fund’s Steering Committee, comes in the wake of varied concerns raised by some Trade and Business Associations and is meant to accommodate stakeholders concerns.

The move is to also offer for more time to enable some members of the various trade associations who had specific challenges concerning submission of applications to rectify such.

During a media briefing in Accra on Friday, the Executive Director of NBSSI, Kosi Yankey-Ayeh and Steering Committee Members of the Programme, said the six-day extension for application was necessary to offer enough time for all potential beneficiaries to access the fund.

“The grace period presents an opportunity to rectify complaints and errors of applicants with wrong credentials recorded on the digitized application portal. We are currently analysing the data to get a better understanding of the challenges,” the Fund managers said.

Other reasons given for the extension included delayed applications due to challenges encountered in the acquisition of Tax Identification Numbers (TIN); thus, the extension is to give eligible businesses the opportunity to acquire TIN and complete their applications.

The extension was also an opportunity to mop up paper applications (from cut off communities and rural areas with no internet), for processing onto the digitized system.

 As June 18, 2020, over 450,000 applicants – representing micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) had registered on the programme; with 75 percent of this number having successfully completed their applications.

The online portal had also detected over 5,200 fraud alerts representing multiple applications with same mobile money or bank account details.

Applicants who registered via the USSD code (on the various mobile networks) represent 58.8 percent; the remaining 41.2 percent represents registrations done directly on the web portal.

Gender disaggregation for applications constitute 66 percent females who requested for 47 per cent of total value of funds requested; and male applications at 34 per cent representing 52.6 per cent of total value of funds.

To further ensure the grace period is efficiently utilized to achieve its aim, NBSSI has intensified collaboration with the Ghana Revenue Authority to facilitate TIN acquisition for applicants.

Executive Director of NBSSI, Kosi Yankey-Ayeh

Source: BusinessZone Online

You may also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy